Thursday, October 3, 2013

Concept Doodles

I know it's a little dangerous to start posting concept art when we haven't picked a theme yet, but I was really inspired by the Voodoo theme we tossed around. Don't think that since there's concept art that we've chosen that Voodoo theme, I just want to show some quick sketches that I was inspired to draw.

I did a quick and kind of crappily done concept for a female protagonist.

Zane researched that... "In West-African Voodooism women are hold priesthood. Sometimes the priestess passes her position to a blood daughter. In the first meeting Madison said she would prefer a non-stereotypical protagonist and a priest's daughter might be interesting." 

So I took it and ran with it.
Those are beads of different colors hanging down her front.
I swear it's not puke.

The hair I was inspired by an episode of America's Next Top Model from a few years back, where the models had to do a big-hair bird-themed photoshoot. I researched current (more like editorial magazine looks) and traditional West African fashion and dress.

I was planning to do a couple more versions playing with different styles of looks. This one is a little on the traditional dress side, so I think it'd be interesting to try and find a futuristic look that incorporated traditional aspects into it.

I also drew a monster! First one ever. It looks like Arbok and Ghastly are hanging out, but I decided to post it anyways. I have a little blurb on the picture from Wikipedia. I played with a Snake/Astral-Soul look.
So...what do you guys think? These were done super fast and quick, and should be viewed as doodles.

Once again, this isn't us deciding on the voodoo theme for sure. Just me doodling.

7 comments:

  1. I like the fashion piece. Could you add a mask and maybe a dagger or stave? I picture purple when I think of voodoo, so I like the colors in the monster, maybe incorporate that into some of the fashion if we go with the concept?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, definitely. Are you thinking a mask on the face or just on her person as decoration?

      Delete
  2. Maybe masks would be something to go for if we decide to use a voodoo story line. I'm not sure if it fits her costume at the moment. But a stave would be cool I think, maybe a satchel of some sorts too? Totally up to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try a couple of different designs with masks, staves, satchels and more accessories. Right now I'm working on a body template so I don't have to draw it over and over again. :)

      Delete
  3. I like the ekans and haunter thing! ALOT! Reminds me Okami! Have you ever seen that stuff? My favorite video game theme of all time. Beautiful. So damn beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've played Okami! I don't think it looks very Okami though. lol

      Delete