Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Other Ideas for the sake of other ideas

Casting a wide net and see what's a good catch. Spit-fire ideas to roast a fine meal, my colleagues. Just want to throw out flat ideas, not gonna work on specifics until we set out a theme we all agree with, so these are all just conceptual. Not talking gameplay either. I left out specifics to be worked once we dedicate ourselves to a single theme. I don't want to go all out developing characters, spaces, story boards, etc. until we all agree and can do it together. With as big a group of writers, were gonna need to collaborate.

"Real" Ideas (by which I mean marketable to the mainstream masses to at least some degree):

1. Blight -

Concept: Attempts to forgo global warming by diffusing chemical substance in atmosphere, which is meant to deflect dangerous solar energy from the sun, backfires. Light energy is enhanced and multiplied causing a massive increase of solar energy making surface living impossible. This causes discord and massive exodus to below surface civilizations. Factions break up civilization causing underworld civil war. Meanwhile, remaining scientists attempt to end the inhabitation of surface world through sending expedition teams to surface world in special heat resistance suits. But the alteration of solar energy, and its dangerous radiation that is attributed with it, alters surface life to hardskinned beings. Some humans are effected, and result in madness.

Story: Protagonist team of expeditioners venture to the top world, facing new creatures, altered humans, and other factions trying to regain control of surface world.

2. Untitled -

Concept: Lovecraftian in all retrospects. 1950's era Americana. The slow, but sure, entrance of Cthulu invasion into earth world. Protagonists are normal 1950's family, which must then face and survive the coming of Lovecraftian gods, face off with the demon infested world of Cthulu mythos (i.e. tentacled drooling horrible eldritch abominations, puss filled faces of boils, dead eyes, scaled skin, morphing into nightmare fuel creatures). Both in present human world with infestation, then into demon world itself. Throw in black magic, occultists, etc. Spiritual and real

Story: Family attempts to survive the demon spawn, and stop it.


Indie Ideas (for fun):

1. Suburbs -

Concept: Modernized American-esque. Unknown military forces infiltrate a quite suburban town. Start in a middle school. Lockdown. Main protagonist (I'm thinking 5th grade girl) must find her way out of the school without being captured or dying. Once free, sees world for what it is, has to find family on her own. But damn, she is a little girl. Eventually gets home. End openly for sake of not making a Hit Girl out of her.

Story: Girl finds way home in horridly war torn suburbs (blow up a Starbucks why don't you?)

2. The Monster Mash:

Concept: All those cliche movie monsters? Let's make them real. Lets stab them with pitchforks. Control a ragtag group, nay, a town of pitchfork wielding townsfolk and send them out to exterminate the monsters with extreme prejudice. These monsters aren't bad per say, just misunderstood. But when the villagers come to destroy them with unbelievable numbers, they gotta defend themselves.

3. Cultastic

Concept: A start your own cult game! Complete with swaying believers to come pray with you, give you money, etc. But watch out for those feds! They are quite the party poopers. Set up fliers, soap box speeches, protests, blow up some competing religions. Get the biggest and best cult EVUH. Praise be to [insert a thing here]


Bleh. I have more concepts somewhere in my brain. This is just set one. They mostly suck. But hey, maybe something to work on. Like I said, just wanted to throw ideas against the wall.

I mostly came up with some of these just so there would be interesting things to illustrate for the artists in the group. I would be perfectly fine with a real world story without hints of supernatural, futuristic, or scientific anything for that matter. But so far these are just themes.

3 comments:

  1. I really like your Indie ideas. Especially #2 and 3! Would be really interesting to see how Indie Idea #1 would play out. They all have great potential in my opinion, if directed in the right path that is. #1 seems it would work well if there was a more serious tone to it, whereas #2 and #3 could have quite the box of laughs included.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sleepy (whoever you are. I'm not sure.) #1 kind of reminds me of an American suburbian version of ICO, which was beautiful. There could be some amazing and horrifically beautiful war-torn and dilapidated environments.

    #2 and #3 seem like really fun App games, like Plants vs. Zombies. Very funny, kind of satirical, and commercial. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. #3 seems like it could be a very controversial idea. The idea seems like the game would be making a kind of social commentary on religion, and I feel like video game don't often make any kind of commentary on life (in obvious ways at least). I feel like if we were to expand on an idea like this that we would end up more in the fine art realm than the entertainment realm, which could be an interesting direction.

    I really like the monster mash idea, and I too think it would be a cute app.

    ReplyDelete